Re: SV: Back in the game

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 05:43, Per Boysen wrote:
> > Från: Dave Stagner [mailto:dave@spnz.org]
> >
> > I struggled with sterile
> > stacked-humbucking pickups on Stratocasters,
>
> Occasionally I have thought about buying stacked Strat pickups but I
> must say that today I'm glad I never had the money to take the plunge.
> Instead I developed the habit of turning down the strats volume knob
> between notes and also to fight hum by assuming a "hum preventing" body
> position ;-)  (related to the surrounding magnetic fields, I guess?).
> And I love those low output vintage strat single coils!!!!!

Yeah, i hate to think how much money got spent on pickups for Strats!
The best i tried were the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage, which sounded like
an okay copy of an okay Strat pickup.  I expect more than "okay" out of
my instruments!

The Blueshawk has a much more sensible approach. It has a dummy coil in
the back of the guitar that is used for pseudo-humbucking.  It's not as
quiet as a good humbucker, but it's better than most single-coils. And
in general, it sounds better than 99% of the Strats in the world, and is
more flexible than the other 1%.  I'm quite happy with it.

> >  Now i'm looping the feedback
>
> Cool! Any MP3's up somewhere?

Not yet... i don't have a good recording setup yet, although it's on my
list. Unfortunately, i also took up drumming recently, so i have yet
another black hole to pour money into!

However, i do have a gig coming up in March, along with a drummer i've
been working with for a while. I'll do my best to tape it and get some
mp3s up.
--

-dave

"...'cause she knows that it's demanding to defeat those evil
machines..."
 -The Flaming Lips, _Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 1_