Re: Signal routing without a mixer

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 04:10 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> on 2/16/03 1:04 PM, David Myers at dmgraph@earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> But straight y-cords, forget it...
>
> In other words: Time to go find that soldering iron.

Oh yes.

> What exactly do I need to wire in? If I've got tip and sleeve coming
> in from
> left and right, what do I need to wire up to get a mono result?

I would use a small box (Radio Shack, etc.).  One stereo jack for your
input, three monos for left, right, and mix outputs (or one stereo and
one mono, if that's what you prefer).  A bit hard to describe in words,
but I'd do you a drawing offlist if you're really stuck.

> Also: Will it cause any problems that what I'm really wiring up is
> left &
> right in; left, right, and mix out?

No problem.  Your L & R ins connect to the L & R outs as well as "Y"
feed the caps/resistors which join at the mono "mix" jack.  Again, this
simple passive mix might be detrimental to your stereo purity, in which
case an active mixer is the only option.

DLM