RE: Mackie Mixers

Matthew,

the 1202 and 1402 are identical with regards to mic pres - at least that's
what mackie says. For me (owner of a 102), from the description from mackie
they seem to be exactly the same except for the two additional channels of
the 1402.

I'd suspect the 1202/1402 might be a tad bit too small for your application
as far as routing possibilities go. What you might be doing is coming into
two channels from the POD (does the guitar pod have a) stereo outs, b) DI
out? if a) and b) are answered "yes", you'd need three channels (one mono,
one stereo)), let's say going (example with 1202) into channels 1 and 2 or
1-3. The mono EDP goes into Ch4, with the G Major -> Ch 5/6, the Vortex ->
Ch 7/8, the Gr-30 -> 9/10 and two ins remaining. Then you could feed the
EDP
with aux 1 (pre-fader), the G Major mono with aux 2, and the Vortex stereo
from the Alt 3/4 bus. Then you'll have the problem that when anything is
sent to the Vortex, you can't easily send it to the EDP or G Major before
the Vortex -> get out the soldering iron and do the "Auxes before Alt/Mute
button" mod as described in the mackie's manual.

That way, you would already lose the possibilty to access the G's second
input. And there isn't much room for expansion effect-wise. If you're not
absolutely sure that you'll never get another piece of gear, I'd suggest
using a slightly bigger mixer, like the Mackie's xx04s or the Behringer
pendant, MX2642.

As far as the knob/fader topic goes - I personally don't like knobs for two
reasons: they don't allow me to move more than one channel's volume with
one
hand (not without some though mikado drills that is), and they don't allow
me to see the set volume levels by simply looking at the mixer from a
distance.

So, my two recommendations would be 1) get a mixer with more auxes and/or
more subs, 2) get a mixer with faders. As for these recommendations, I use
(besides the 1202 in my small rack and a MX2642 as a "afterguard console"
if
I suddenly need more mixing) a MX2642A for my larger rack, and it is
(although people keep bitching about Behringer all the time) well
acceptable
for my not so pristine ears. (I also do use a DDX3216 for the larger
chores). And the 2642A goes (here in Germany) new for €289 - which is about
half the price of a 1202.

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de