Re: zoom boss korg

Bob,

In a message dated 2/24/03 8:14:46 AM, Aptrev@aol.com writes:

>What is your preferred usage/M.O. with the 303? Do you use it for
>pattern presets and effects?

I just use the SP-303 for it's basic function as a "phrase" sampler. I do
use
some of its onboard effects (ring-modulator, lo-/hi-pass filters,
"decimator"
and auto "slicer-dicer" -- whatever, occasionally). They are cool. But,
mostly,
I only use it (lately) to store and play several "canned" rhythmic loops
of
"ethnic"
percussion. These are all pre-edited in the computer to files of the exact
same
size, to form SP-303 "banks" that will always, absolutely "sync up" -- no
matter
what (as long as I hit the unit's pads anywhere near a downbeat, that is).

I also use it to play some ambient/ambiguous synth pads and analog-ish
bass
"pulses" for specific pieces from my CD that I find I am
requested/required
to replicate live. My CD was recorded as a live, in-the-studio improv but
it
is rather difficult to conjure up all of those improvised elements
repeatedly
in performance (on-the-fly) every time so I have learned to pre-record just
a few of the basic loops and play the rest into my EDPs. I also have some
sampled "orchestral" stuff in the 303 that I've been working up over the
past
year. The first thing I did with the 303 was wipe the memory of all of its
factory sounds and replace them with my own "created" and "found" sounds.

But, I don't use half of its cool features. I'm sort of an idiot that way
--
a fact easily explained by my pointing out that I'm a guitar player (LOL,
and not a particularly adept one at that, heheheh). I find the sound

As for playing it . . . I program the buttons on the 303 to "latch" so
the sample plays as a loop (ad infinitum) until the button is hit again.
Pretty darn basic, huh? I really wish there was some easy way to control
the volumes of specific, single tracks on-the-fly though (like a built
in mixer). I guess you need the 808 for that feature. But, it gets me
by . . . and I am on a rather tight budget.

Best,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

ArsOcarina@aol.com
http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian