Re: question for max/msp gurus ? [software loopers redux]

You might get more responses on the max list, but:

Perhaps the simplest way to get started is to use tapin~ and tapout~ instead of buffer~. If you want to use buffer~, it's possible to set up counters and peek~ objects to do it. Note that in order to feed a tapout~ object's signal back into a tapin~, you need to add a send~ and receive~ in the feedback loop or it won't run, due to some mysteries of the DSP graph.

Anyway, once you've done this you can vary the tapout~'s position at will during performance.

Bridging Max and SC via OSC doesn't make sense on one computer, because of the overhead of running two DSP schedulers on one machine, and who knows what other competition for CPU the two apps would suffer. Some people do mix and match them on networks, although I don't myself see why.

-Alex S.