Re: my little looping story

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 06:42 PM, Matthew F. McCabe wrote:

> Too many times I've sold a "little used" effect and have then missed
> it greatly.  Alas, sometimes the allure of new gear is all
> encompassing.

Now this is something I've been finding out how to deal with... the
hard way.  We just moved to a smaller place due to financial reasons.
Let me tell you: MOVING SUCKS.  I had to make some hard decisions.  I
think I have to make more.  Some had to do with dressers.  When you've
got no closet, a four drawer dresser sure doesn't cut it, and you find
yourself selling your nice real wood dresser for a 6 drawer pressboard
junk box from FURNI.  Anyway, I digress.

The same thing is hitting me with my loop set up.  First to go was my
PA speakers.  Luckily for me they went to a VERY good home (Hi Kim!)
Now, however, I'm looking at a few pieces of little used gear and
asking tough questions.  Where do I put this?  I look at my MO-FX and
say, "sure you're fun, but you're taking up 2 rack spaces!"  All of the
sudden that piece of gear that gets occasional use starts to get
considered for an eBay fate.  I know I'll kick myself if I get rid of
the Mo-FX, but these are things that have been on my mind.  I usually
justify it by saying, "...having less will be better.  I'll get more
intimate with the remaining gear..."  Sure, it's true on some level,
but damn I miss some of my cool old stompboxes.  Ah, those were the
days.

And that's how the move from discreet effects to multi-effect units
seems to happen.  What always seems to be the casualty is control.
Stompboxes have nice knobs to screw with, where big multi-effect boxes
can be controlled via MIDI, but usually it's not nearly as good as the
discreet effect.  Often not as good sounding either.  I think this is
why I'm enamored by the KAOSS pad and the AirFX.  Quirky little devices
that are as much about how to perform the effect as about the effect
itself.

Blah blah blah, ramble ramble ramble, blah blah.

Mark Sottilaro