Re: slightly ot: the quest for a groovebox

on 3/5/03 4:46 PM, Jonathan El-Bizri at biz-looper@groovetronica.com wrote:

> I've seen people using 505s and 307s to good effect - (ask Mr. Sottilaro
>on
> this list), but the sequencer's features don't hold a candle to the RM1x,
> and the synth engine is nothing compared to the Emu. Furthermore, you are
> unlikely to find a 909 used yet, while used Rm1x's can be found for $300
>or
> less (you have to look - they are popular :>) and Command stations run
>for
> under $500 new.

Wow. I hadn't seen that the Command Stations had fallen that low. Emu is
hurting.

How would the RM1x be for a live looping sequencer driving some other
equipment for the actual sounds? I want to build and tweak patterns on the
fly, pull up patterns with a single button push, play multiple patterns or
phrases at once with appropriate multiple button pushes, etc.. In
particular, if I build a pattern, I'd like to be able to save it without a
lot of hassle and without stopping the sequencer.

For the Electribe fans, would anyone care to comment on how something like
Electribe-M would be for this task?

Mark

P.S. For a sampler plus effects, you could buy Mark Sottilaro's Electrix
blow out.