Re: Yamaha A5000 as pseudo-looper/sampler/effects processor

> Does this mean that it turns off the normal effects section when you
record?
> Is this true even if your recording the stereo out?  My take, from the
> manual as I don't have an A5000 to play with, was that you could apply
> effect blocks 1-3 to the recorded signal.  I'd assumed that if you
>didn't,
> they stayed however you had them set up in play mode.  Assuming that were
> true, I'd have thought you could:
>
> Set up the A/D input to two independent mono signals
> Send the instrument signal to A/D L, route it to effects 1-3
> Send the output of effects 1-3 to the assignable out
> Send the assignable out to the input of the EDP
> Send the output of the EDP to A/D R, route that to effects 4-6
> Send the out put of effects 4-6 to the stereo out
> And then set the record source to stereo out.
>
> Am I smoking crack?

You are smoking crack.  Wait!  No you are not!  It works!  Exactly like you
said.  For some reason I thought the A5K forced you to
use the three effects blocks in the Record section, even though I have
recorded from the stereo outs with effects before.  Silly me.

I think you are right about the --> Save option, too.  Here's what the
manual says:

"-> Save ... The recorded sample will automatically be saved to disk and
erased from memory AFTER recording has finished.  This makes it possible to
record mono samples longer than 32 megabytes and stereo samples longer than
64 megabytes if enough memory is available.

NOTE -> Only the first 32 (mono) or 64 (stereo) megabytes of samples longer
than 32 or 64 megabytes saved to disk can be loaded into the sampler's
memory at a time.

HINT -> When -> Save is selected the recordable sample size is only limited
by the amount of space abailable on the disk used.  This capability is
useful when you want to record a long musical segment or even a complete
song to CD using the CD-DA command."

One more caveat about the A4/5000:  Maximum hard disk size is 8GB.  Maximum
partition size is 1GB.  So, the best you can do is an 8GB drive with 8
partitions, 1GB each.  Which, really, is quite a bit of space, considering
the sampler can only hold 128MB at a time.

The other thing is that the A5K isn't using a standard DOS/Windows or Mac
format for their partitions/files, so I don't think you can access the hard
drive partitions via SCSI, even if you have a drive hooked to both your
puter and the sampler.  Haven't tried it though...  Hell, I was wrong about
everything else, why not this, too?  :)

There is a utility called "Disky" (http://ampfea.org/~jay/disky/), written
by a fellow named Jay Vaughn (runs the ampfea.org Music-Bar list), which I
believe may let you pull files directly off the A5K's hard disks.  But I'm
having a hard time getting it to run, so I can't say for sure.  Adaptec's
ASPI driver installer isn't working for me (anyone have any suggestions for
a WinXP Professional user, regarding this?).  :(  It's a fucking mess.

-J