Re: Rack Setup

I too find a volume pedal indispensible; the Ernie
Ball is like the Cadillac of 'em, but I've also used
DeArmond, Boss FV-50's, a slew of Bespeco's which are
great for the price (basically the same as the Boss
for a lot less $), and right now I'm really enjoying a
Dunlop Mister CryBaby that I got to kill both volume
and wah birds with the same stone. Depending on the
situation, I use as many as five volume pedals in my
setup, including the one between a mic pre and the
board that controls a Shure SM-57 for when I want to
introduce flutes/vocals into a loop*...

As far as its position in the effect chain, though, I
prefer to put it *between* gain or modulation effects
and time-based ones; ie. after most pedals, but
*before* delays and reverbs, thus controlling input
but not cutting off the 'tails'...

-t-

* a digression re looped vocals: the other day I
picked up a cheap set of walkie-talkies ($5.74 at
WalMart) and have been experimenting with holding one
of them (the receiving unit) over a guitar pickup
(thus on through effects/loopers) whilst, um,
'vocalizing' into the other one. Much fun.