Re: Dragging Instruments

future perfect wrote:

> This has been a concern for my band too...especially if you are not the
> only band playing. How do you minimize setup/breakdown time, minimize
> the inevitable 'something must be plugged in wrong' error when you have
> to set up fast and have a lot of gear?
> I do use a Gator case now that has the mixer on top, with all my rack
> stuff plugged in. I have my pedals zip-tied to pegboard so they are
> already set up. We try to get on and off stage and try to be good about
> troubleshooting when something goes wrong.
> I have played with bands with lots and lots of gear- it is funny. Some
> bring out tons and tons of stuff- so much so that when they take forever
> to set up and it eats into their performance time, they don't seem to
> mind. Hell, I have seen bands that take as long to set up as their
> performance. Maybe ok if you are the only band, but if people are
> waiting to go on stage and the crowd starts leaving, then it is no fun.
> Then there are guys/girls that have huge setups that they have set up in
> no time at all.
> I played with this band once, that was a 4 piece-
> vocals/harp/guitar/bass. They were the 2nd of 3 bands. The bassist
> played bass pedals & cello also. The harpist played keyboards as well.
> They played to a DAT tape of drums. They had 40 minutes to play. It took
> 40 minutes to set up, and the stage was a mess of wires. Well, the DAT
> tape didn't work, and they fumbled with that for awhile. There was no
> sound out of the cello. In all, a bit of a nightmare. The club owner cut
> them off after 20 minutes. They *seemed* to know their gear, but in the
> real world, the more you have, the more can, and will go wrong. I felt
> bad for them, because I could see what they were trying to do, but in
> that situation, the 2nd of 3 bands, and only 40 mins to play, some
> compromises should have been made. Maybe it just takes experience, and
> setting up/breaking down your gear many many times.
>
> Dave Eichenberger
> http://www.hazardfactor.com
>

> > I'm always torn about the BIG SCHLEP.  It's a bit the whole
> > schlepping
> > thing, but also a huge part of it for me is the break down of the
> > studio and the set up brake down set the studio back up again.

    This is quite a relevant thread for those of us who perform regularly.
I agree that the schelp is one concern, however setting up/tearing down is
probably bigger for me.  Also, sometimes having so many gear options can be
distracting.  Personally, I've been wrestiling wtih this because if I have
so much stuff to play with/worry about on stage it can negatively effect my
performance.  I think the key for me is that I need to practice using all
of
the looping/effects/drum machine stuff in the same way that I practice
singing/playing guitar and lap steel.  The more you know the less you have
to think about it.

On this subject.  I use a Behringer 802A mixer.  I use a DL-4 for looping
but would like to upgrade to an EDP at some point.  Any suggestions for a
rack that would carry the EDP and a the small Behring mixer on top?  This
would make set up/tear down much quicker.

Thanks,
John
www.johnmazzarella.com