Unidentified subject!

Sender: billfox@fast.net
From: "billfox" <billfox@fast.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: [looper's] RE: Echoplex sighting
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:03:28 -0500

> I've even toyed with the idea of using my repeaters to do
> remixes and "party tapes" inna dj-stylee by way of
> demonstrating this area of their capability but I've never
> been comfortable with the idea of getting credit of any
> sort for tampering with someone else's work.

While I fully understand your feelings with this, I think
that using other artists' material can be done in a way that
wouldn't make you uncomfortable.  For example, vidnaObmana's
and Asmus Tiechens' "The Shift's Recycling" is a two CD set
where the artists (Obmana and Tiechens) have "recycled"
material from another artist (Shift).  (Each CD in the set
is the result of each artist's individual efforts.)  I
haven't heard the raw source material, but I suspect that it
was previously unreleased and merely RAW material.  The same
material was supplied by Shift to both artists who mangled
and looped it and added their own material.

Of course, Shift knew in advance what the project was all
about since he personally supplied the raw source material.
However, I'm sure you were talking about using released
material as your source material.  I still feel that this
could be handled in a way that isn't a ripoff of another's
work.  With propoer credit given the the creator(s) of the
source material you use and notification prior to releasing
your (derivative?) work, perhaps this might be OK.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S.  My desk computer crashed.  Until it is fixed or
replaced, I'll be off of LD for a little while to minimize
on-line exposure to my laptop.  (My laptop is supposed to be
a music only tool.)