RE: Realtime os (was kim's refreshing...)

> I wonder why enterprises like Apple dont create a real time version
> of their OS, limited and optimized for specific use.
> In most studios I see a Mac with nothing but ProTools installed to
> make it safe. They have a second computer for Internet and such. So
> an OS that looks like the MacOS but only serves audio soft would
> certainly be much safer and quicker...

i am not personally involved in this, but there is a group doing just
this for linux:
        http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3

        http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/

sadly, i have not had time to look into it deeply, but
on the surface, it looks like they have got latency down to
low single digit ms (i've seen 1.5ms claimed)

this is on my (rather long) list of things to check out...