Re: boring PERFORMANCE ART...

"I think as an artist you have to let other people express themselves how
they see fit, and it's fine to call the product good or bad based on its
individual merits, but there's nothing inherently wrong with any medium or
practice."

i agree 100% and my aesthetic dictates, for the most part, that i call said
product bad.  what i look for, personally, is not provided via either
medium.

i'm not so much getting down on particular performers/artists, but more of
the ideals that appear to be fueling the whole movement.  i haven't closed
my head off to anything at all...i'll always give anything a shot (well,
not
skydiving or hard drugs...) but as i've mentioned, from my experience, i've
not found compelling evidence to assuage my dislike for modern dance and
performance art.

i suppose to really get into an honest debate deserving our attention, we
would need to get together, sit down and watch/listen to the exact same
things, and talk later.  as it stands, we're all coming from drastically
different places as far as what we've seen, what we've heard, what we've
read, and the context in which these things have transpired.

but my criticism is not relegated to modern dance and performance art...i
have a particular contempt for most "rock" music and visual art.  maybe i'm
just a jerk...

-jim