Re: Loopers who stare at their Equipment

Clayton Gary Lehmann wrote:

> Alrightie then, a change of subject:
> I sure would like to be able to perform a loop show without staring at my
> equipment--is there anyone on this list who actually looks at the
>audience
> when they loop?
> I want stuff to be predictable enough to not have to attend to it--but I
> also have an idea of what I would like to accomplish with the
> technolgoy--seems like I have to pay attention to the status of the
>devices
> to know where I am tho--Too much gear?  Not enough familiarity with it?
>Too
> ambitious?
> I mean, it's great in the bedroom, but onstage things get hazy--
> So what say you, performing loopers?  Also interested in those of you who
> are visually impaired (hi Cara!  Where's my video?)
> Gary
> (First gig post surgery tomorrow!  OK!!!)

I usually look at the audience during a loop performance.  Then again, I
am a
singer/songwriter/guitarist who currently incorporates relatively small
amounts
of looping into my performances.  I plan to add more as I get better at
it.  But
it's certainly a concern of mine to be overwhelmed/distracted by the gear.
perform mainly the singer/songwriter/coffeehouse circuit. I love how
looping and
electronics help me to stand out.  I also like how it makes each
performance
different for me and the audience.  However, at the end of the day, my main
concern is to entertain the audience, not to stare at my gear.

John
www.johnmazzarella.com