Re: Performance Tricks for the Shy Looper

felt like weighing in here as well--

back when I played in a rock band, I thought I should jump around, even
though sometimes I wasn't really feeling the music like that, cuz it seemed
like that was the vibe that got people watching psyched about your band.

now, I play solo, and I go to every performance with no specific plan about
what I'm going to do (it's kind of scary, but it's what feels right to me
).
in searching for and expressing in music the core of  whatever moment I'm
in, I need to tune into everything that's there-- people who are watching,
the sound of a bus out in the street, my equipment sometimes--  I get fed
from lots of different places.

people go see music for lots of different reasons. What I personally
appreciate most when I'm watching  is when a performer really digs into
whatever thing it is that they do and expresses it completely. That's why I
like watching Michael Jackson dance, to pick a left-field example. His
intensity turns me on, cuz I see something elemental in it, even though
most
of his music and his whole pop phenom thing doesn't do much for me. That's
why my first big love was Jimmy Hendrix.

You've gotta love what you do and share that. You've gotta have something
you want to communicate, even if it's quite abstract what that thing is.
And
you've gotta be good enough at your medium for the message to get across to
those listening/ watching.  I firmly believe that's pretty much it.

Just like in the rest of life, some people will dig your particular for m
of
expression, and some won't.  That'll be the case no matter what you do, so
you might as well do what's real for you.

love the world

ghost 7