Re: EDP problem

andre,

    there were a host of problems originally. and i will say that i am
not nearly as savvy on the machine as you or other friends of mine
(nameless)... but the kind of problems aren't really attributable to
operator error.

1) loud, screeching white noise at various times
2) unit looking like it's in record but not recording (but not
consistently)
3) unit refusing to go into record at all (with and w/o pedals attached)
4) unit refusing to go into overdub, even though all indicators say
that it is...
5) no sound at all even though the little green light shows signal..

these all occur randomly. i was playing a concert with jai uttal for
about 1000 folks and after one record and one overdub, it stopped
recording anything. i had to reach over and reboot the thing onstage
while playing solo and start all over. i'm afraid that mechanically
it's just not a pro machine. and gibson seems to be not remotely
interested in supporting it at this point. i get no answers from them
for months at a time. sigh....

   i mean really how many of us are there who really use the thing in a
pro context in front of significant numbers of people? not too many.
id' think they'd be gung -ho for the advertising.

i know that some of these could be related to a quantize issue but i
never, ever use quantize and i always reboot the whole system to try to
alleviate the problems. even though i got my edp through an
endorsement, gibson made me pay for the repairs, and the unit still
does all of the above except the white noise.

do you know anyone who has toured a lot and still relies on one? i know
people who drive their own gear to a couple of dozen shows a year, but
i haven't seen anyone really touring with one lately. not that there
may not be a few. if i had the money to have three of them, i'd take it
out on the road. i actually still do take it on the road, but i have
the repeater there in case it isn't in the mood to cooperate.

r.