Tube amp HUMMMMMMM...Ground?

Hey tubeamp fans.

I found a nice all tube used Ampeg Reverbrocket and after all that talk
about all tube amps, I broke down and got one.  At the owner's house it
was all nice and quiet.  He lived in a nice modern house probably built
70's or earlier.  However, now that it's in my 90s apt (uh, that's
actually 1890) I'm getting major HUM.  Most of my other gear is
relatively quiet, but I had to put an isolation transformer on my
computer's output to stop from getting interface sounds.

I've been told a down and dirty way to set up a ground (I always like
the Brit's "earth" better) is to take a wire from the ground socket and
bring it to some form of plumbing, like a sink pipe or toilet.  Is this
OK?  I'm sure our landlord wouldn't be up for paying an electrician to
set up a proper ground, so this is something that I'll have to be able
to do.

I used to set up grounds all the time for TV arials.  Would the same
technique work?

Mark Sottilaro