RE: Laptop recommendations

> bIz writes:
> Let me reiterate - this isn't ground hum - this is noise. Louder
> than a line level signal.
>
> What model is your >old< laptop? Perhaps it's only an issue with
> units made in the past two or three years..

I've got a year old DELL Inspiron 8100 laptop that I've been happy with.  I
couldn't recall having any noise problems, so I decided to check it out.

I'm using the audio on the mother board, hooked up to a Mackie 1402 (using
one of the stereo channels, w/input gain set for -10db devices), hooked up
to some cheap powered speakers.  Under normal listening conditions I hear
no
noise (re-charger connected or not).  I also don't hear any noise under
normal conditions using headphones connected to the headphone out on the
mixer.  If I turn off the music, and crank up the volume of the headphone
output on the mixer, I do get some definite electronic noise that goes away
when I disconnect the re-charger.

Clearly your mileage varies.

-daveh

Dave Hastings
dhastings@earthlink.net
"Outside of a dog, books are a man's best friend.
 Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
Groucho Marx