Re: MPX-G2

Well try it I did.

This morning I spent a good couple of hours really tweaking sounds on
the MPXG2 and I came to a few conclusions

It's really good.  All that I said about it's "amp models" not being
good, I take back.  Not all the presets sound good, but after some
tweaking I got a lot of them to sound damn good and for sure usable.  I
would take this baby out to a live gig and go straight into the house
mains with no problem.  Not sure if I'd be happy with it's pre-amp
sounds in every situation though.  It seems like it does clean really
well, and heavy distorto pretty well.  It's one weakness seems to be
that "kind of on the brink of dirty" sound that one gets with tubes and
some of the better tube modelers.  Running it in the effects loop of my
Ampeg Reverbrocket or the Johnson JT50 makes that issue moot, as you
wouldn't use it's amp or speaker sims anyway.

I'm standing by what I said about the JamMan function.  Not sure why
Gary would think a guitar processor would be suitable for percussion
loops anyway, but I think he's right.  However, as a man who's sold on
this whole "stereo" concept, I don't think the EDP would do it for me
either... unless I had two brother synced together.  Thanks to the IRS,
no EDP for me at this time, but I think that when I do, it will be when
I can afford a pair.  I've just got so many beautiful stereo processors
and synth sounds that I'm just not going to go back to my JamMan days
with a mono looper.  It's not my bag man.

On that topic, where the MPXG2 shines is on it's rich stereo
processing.  Lush reverbs, delays, auto panning and phase based effects
all shimmer the airspace directly effected by my Mackie HR824 near
field monitors.  Swa-eet.  I do admit, I love the pre-amp tones of my
Digitech 2120 but it doesn't have the lushness of time based effects
that the Lexicon does. (though still very good IMO)  I love the 2120
but what's sold me on the MPXG2 is beyond it's sound.  It's in the
sync.  I move from a 70 bpm to a 140 bpm sequence, and look!  The MPXG2
is right there with me.  No need to tap tempo.  Really really useful.
*EVERY* effect processor should work this way.  I'm really disappointed
with the world.  I was told the future would have lot's of robots and
cool musical instruments.  I saw it on Buck Rodgers (the 80s TV
version, silly)  I figured they'd all communicate tempo information.
WHERE ARE MY ROBOTS?  WHERE IS MY MIDI SYNC!?  RECONFIGURE THE SENSOR
ARRAY TO SEND A INVERSE GRAVITON PULSE INTO THE NAKED SINGULARITY!

OK, time for bed.

Mark Sottilaro