OT: long-distance performance

Hi folks,  I'm asking this question here, even though it's wildly OT,
because there's such good expertise here on performing.  I figure that
someone will probably have a useful tip for me! :)    I met a fellow
singer on a trip recently whom I really enjoyed playing with (we did a
couple of impromptu gigs in the Galapagos!!).  We decided that we'd like
to be able to continue singing, even though we live over a thousand
miles apart.  My question is, are there good programs/services that
would allow us to have "sessions" in real-time over the internet?  I've
considered telephone, but I shudder when I think of the quality of
speakerphones on each end!  Can we do better than that?  Any suggestions
welcome :)

Thanks much,
Elby