The Ambient Ping presents The Foundry Tour

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

Tuesday April 29 - The Foundry Tour:
Jonathan Hughes, Michael Bentley & Dean Santomieri

Jonathan Hughes (aka Subspace - from Buffalo NY) will be
performing pieces from his upcoming release, Fluid - a
double CD comprised of tracks of the same length and
similar keys which can be played together to create new
composite tracks. Jonathan's performance will blend bits
from various tracks as well as new material & live improvisation.
http://www.dronelab.com

Foundry label head Michael Bentley (San Francisco CA)
uses a variety of sound sources and computer based
compositional techniques to create the first permutation
of his new long form piece entitled This World, a subjective
traverse of audio and visual referents, a kind of autobiography
under erasure. Bentley has recorded solo CDs under the
names eM and Mollusk, and has also contributed to projects
from Fällt, No Type, and MIT's Computer Music Journal.
http://www.foundrysite.com/who/

Dean Santomieri's "The Boy Beneath the Sea" weaves
together music, spoken word and video to create an affecting
and timeless fable. Themes of wonder, guilt, love and fear
run as deep currents throughout this work. Santomieri's
narrative is both evocative & personal, dreamlike yet familiar.
http://www.foundrysite.com/santomieri/boybeneaththesea/

Between Sets CDs - "All The Stars Burning Bright" by eM
This album, by Foundry Recordings 'founder' Michael Bentley,
includes sound sources from NASA recordings made by
various space probes and further exploration of digital audio
manipulation. (2001)     http://www.foundrysite.com
"Mote" by The Foundry, began with an unusual phone message.
The message consisted of clicks and static which formed a
percussive pattern and lasted about a minute. Bentley
constructed about a dozen tracks, derived almost entirely
from this message, which form the basis for this CD. (1999)

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Slow Heat" by Steve Roach

Having lived my life as long as I have in Toronto, I'm fascinated
with the idea of the desert. There's something about it that
calls to me, some sort of geographical siren that keeps stroking
my curiosity. It seems like such an alien idea to me, a vast
barren space teeming with life, yet lacking the lush trappings
that we so often associate with a habitat.

The desert fascinates me, and listening to "Slow Heat" by
Steve Roach, I feel my curiosity and fascinataion being piqued
yet again. By blending musical explorations with field recordings
taken in the desert terrain outside his studio, Roach has perfectly
conjured up the imagery and appeal of this magical environment.
As a long form piece stretching over 70 minutes in length "Slow Heat"
completely envelopes the listener, taking them on a languid journey
through new spaces, different places. The whisper of the night breeze,
the quiet hiss of the cooling earth, it's all here flowing in time
with slow musical passes that enhance the experience, adding
a sensuality and human warmth to this beautiful atmosphere.

The desert fascinates me, and through "Slow Heat" I can hear
it's call to me become even stronger...

"Slow Heat" is available now through *ping things* online at
http://www.pingthings.com

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
to be updated on all the latest releases on sale at PiNG THiNGS.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

Coming Tuesday May 6th - RADiO iN AMBiENCE Part 1

This is a special presentation for the Deep Wireless "celebration
of Radio Art" in collaboration with New Adventures in Sound Art
taking place throughout May. http://www.deepwireless.ca

Between Sets CD "Subterranean Collective disc 1" by vidnaObmana
(PROJECKT - 2001)  http://www.vidnaobmana.be

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the *ping things* ambient/experimental CD boutique.
Drop off food at *ping things* for the Daily Bread Food Bank too
and we'll ensure that it gets there. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances