Re: LOOPING TRIVIA QUESTION reply to Dr Richard Zvonar

on 27/4/03 5:26 pm, Richard Zvonar at zvonar@zvonar.com wrote:

> At 11:16 PM +0100 4/26/03, Geoff Smith wrote:
>
>> Do anyone know what the first looping pieces were to use digital
>equipment.
>>
>> i.e. the first pieces of looping music made using the lexicon pcm42????
>
> Pauline Oliveros was an early adopter of the PCM 42. She initially
> used two of them, one for each register of her accordion. That would
> have been early 1983.

Thankyou, I have been reading her book 'the roots of movement' which
discusses her use of the PCM 42 and how she used it in her Extended
Instrument System. Good confirm that she was one of the first though.

>> Still trying to get contemporary classical artist Jim Fulkerson
>
> I think he lives in Holland.
Yep and he's coming to my college in a few weeks as part of the Barton
Workshop.
Definitely a great player, who made me re-think the potential of the
Trombone.

>DoES anyone know what the first looping pieces were to use digital
>equipment.

You said
"The first digital looping pieces would have been done on mainframe
computer music systems in the 1970s and early 1980s. I can't think of
any specific works at the moment, but I know that I myself was doing
some live looping on the VAX  11/780 at CARL (Computer Audio Research
Lab) at UC San Diego in 1981-82. There are several loop-based
sections in my theater piece "soul murder" (1982)."
I MUST LOOK AT YOUR WORK MORE CLOSELY!!!!

You said
"The real hotbeds for this early work were CCRMA at Stanford, IRCAM in
Paris, and a few other research centers such as University of
Illinois, MIT, and others. I have a few contacts if you want to
pursue it."
I WOULD DEFINETLY BE INTERESTED IN PERSUING THIS.

you said
"BTW- the first tapeless live looping I heard was an improvisation by
the Electric Weasel Ensemble in 1976 at Cabrillo College in Santa
Cruz, using Don Buchla's new analog delay line. Several of the
performers had the flu, and Don captured some coughing and mangled it
live."
YOU ARE AS ALWAYS A FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE, HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF WRITING
A BOOK ON THE SUBJECT????

Cheers
Geoff