Re: LOOPING on MAINFRAME Computers -- WAS: TRIVIA QUESTION reply to Dr Richard Zvonar

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 12:08  am, David wrote:

> You're shitting me!!  People were looping on DEC PDP-11's !!!!!!
> Oh my God.

There is an audio research centre in Paris which is part of the
university, and when I sneaked in for a visit a while back, and
explained what I did, they in fact did something similar back in the
70's also. They also used DEC's, and I know that they used PDP-8's
primarily for their audio synth work.

I'll see if I can try and find out some more info.

I think the first non-digital live looping was early man shouting and
screaming into a cave....into a cave.....into a cave....<pop>

- Stu