free improv. in a band situation

Hi folks!

Since i know some of you are into live improv.,
how do you deal with improvisation
if you are the member of the group and not a solo performer?
I remember a funny tale i'd read in some Cage book when he refused to lead
a free jazz band because all they played all the time with the same
dynamics. He seemed not to like free improv. saying the subconscious will
led your mind. Though in another writting (which i don't remember where)
he said he'd found an interesting way to deal with it. May anybody point
me to the original source?

Cheers,
Raül

fighting for independence? - incorporate online, simple and inexpensive:
http://www.ad-free.info/incorporatestart.htm

hate online advertising? we answer the call:
http://www.ad-free-mall.biz/shop/company/aboutus.aspx

if somebody used our e-mail system for spamming, please follow our
anti-spam policy here:
http://www.ad-free-mall.biz/shop/company/spaminfo.aspx