Re: brotherhood of the bass

Hi all,

In a message dated 5/1/03 10:04:26 PM, zvonar@zvonar.com writes:

>Having done that, and then having spent a number of years
>collaborating with a "real" bassist (meaning one who performs as a
>soloist on acoustic contrabass) I have a real appreciation for the
>difference between bass guitar and "bass."

I have to agree. The two are very different. That's why, in a
performance I am organizing later this month (plug to come later)
there will be BOTH a member of my li'l ensemble playing electric
bass guitar AND another playing acoustic upright contrabass.
They both have their distinct places and uses . . . and . . . sometimes
they work pretty nicely together too. Now if I could just find a good
tuba player nearby . . . heheh.

On the "guitarist trying to play bass" thread. I have to agree too.
I'm a pretty bad bassist (and I mean that in the old lingo where
bad equals bad, not bad equals cool) myself. I don't actually think
I'm all that good at guitar either, but that's another story (LOL).
However, when I remember to keep it simple and follow the drum
loop and/or drummer, I think I have done okay when I have had to
"pinch hit" on bass.

I own an old Yamaha bass. But, often as not I use a GK-2 equipped
Dano baritone to play bass stuff via a Roland synth. I especially love
the fretless patch with a little of the baritone sound mixed in. While
I'll never be a Steve Lawson or a Max Valentino (to be sure), still it's
booty shakin' fun nonetheless -- and makes me appreciate those
guys who know how to do it right even more.

I just don't see being "bad" at something as any reason to give up
and/or not play what interests me. At 50 years old (in a few days),
I am still trying to learn new things. Like they say: "move forward
or die."

Best regards,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

ArsOcarina@aol.com