Re: why Kim why?

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 03:51 AM, Kim Flint wrote:
> And I also appreciate the efforts you put into this Rick. I'm sorry
> you somehow got the impression that I am being dismissive, because I'm
> not.

Hi Kim!  How do we get ourselves in this trouble?  The last time I
brought up similar subjects a group of townspeople chased me out of
town with torches.  Damn those things sting!

But I think it's a *great* point, and if we can move beyond the
emotional bonds we have with the word "looping" I think we can better
progress and promote our music.  I think we all agree that the term
"looping" means drasticly different things to different people here.
Try to define it and we end up in a flame war.  So if we can't agree on
what it means (which I think is *GOOD*) why would we think the term
would mean anything to an outsider?  If I saw a poster that read "Flubu
Fest this weekend at the Roxy"  I might investigate a bit, because I'm
interested in new forms of music.  However, most people aren't.
They'll pass right by.  However if I passed a poster that said,
"Progressive Electronica" or "Ambient" Fest I think more people would
be inclined to check it out.  (The term "ambient" has been so degraded
that it seems to now mean any form of instrumental music for which
there isn't a well defined genera.  In a way I kind of like this term
because of that.)

SO.... what am I suggesting?  Not sure.  I know that the last few gigs
I've played were not billed with the words "Loop" or "Looper" or
"Looping" and no one (including me) cared.  Here's an idea:  The next
"Loopfest" we do can have two names.  We can call it Loopfest among
ourselves, as we're pretty comfortable with that term, but when we
promote it to the outside world we call it something like "New Music
Fest - from Ambient to World and everything in between!"  That way
people interested in new and eclectic music would be inclined to check
it out, rather than just people who know what we mean by "Loopfest" or
people who are curious about that term.  This way, everybody's happy!

Mark Sottilaro