Dre's last post on the Live Loop thang

Andre wrote:

"For instance, someone who really loves ambient music hears me,
billed as playing "live looping," and assumes they don't like "live
looping" because it's all glitchy and aggressive and angular.  Then they
never get to hear your own very beautiful and ambient music.

Or the other way around (and an all too common scenario): an IDM fan
hears a Robert Fripp or Brian Eno album, and assumes that all looping
is ambient, so when I come through town and they hear I'm a looping
guitarist, they never bother to check me out because "they don't dig
ambient."

You have just provided a wonderful example of why I love being all
inclusive
in the looping festivals that I have produced, played in and promoted.

At such a festival, an audience can potentially see the truly wonderful
diversity
that exists between you and Matthias............Me and Tom
Heasley............
John Whooley and AmyX Neuburg.  It's an impressive amount of aesthetic
diversity.
I'm even with you, that I don't always like everything that is put on at
those shows
but I do like that people felt supported to progress in their art and that
they had
and active goal that helped them to proceed, actively, with it.

You know, Bill Graham in his formative years of producing shows in San
Francisco
specifically booked the Duke Ellington orchestra with Big Brother and the
Holding
Company,  Gordon LIghtfoot and Canned Heat (I saw that show on my 16th
birthday......lol).

He did it purposefully because he feared that the emerging hippy movement
would become
to insular and uninformed.

It was, frankly, one of the really wonderful things about the early Freak
days in Northern California.  FM radio had you listing to Odetta followed
by
the Jefferson Airplane followed by Ravi Shankar followed by Cream, in my
estimation.

It promoted a level of artistic and cultural diversity that has really been
lacking in my estimation in American culture of the last decade or so.

We can only do little tiny and relatively unambitous things to combat that
narrowing
of aesthetics, but I think it is a cool thing to do.  I'm all in support of
you or Kim or whoever if you don't agree.   I've loved seeing the great
purple-pony tailed one at each of the shows that I've seen him at and we
agree about very little, philosophically, I think.  Even though I've bonded
with him and Mark Sottilaro as the only other
wierd, artivficially dyed hair guys at these shows..............LOL

Whether or no,   we all   (you, Kim Flint, Matthias Grob, Stuart Wyatt,
Steve Lawson, and all the others who have been part of these recent
discussions) have the ability to
be accepting of each other.

If we are truly strong in what we believe, we know that the way another
person feels
doesn't need to have much impact on us (unless they are trying to actively
steal or physically harm us).

I don't think anyone here wants to steal or harm each other.

Trying in a self conciously naive and hippified way to bring peace back to
our
list,

Rick