Re: Let's cause a scene! (scroll down for survey question)

--- mark <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:
> > I totally disagree with the fact that the internet
> can act as community.

How can you disagree with a "fact"? ;-) (Sorry; I know
what you mean, but the momentum from that semantics
thread keeps a'rollin'!)

Hmmm, I think it *almost* can, but to be more
accurate, I should have said something like "Online
communications are an increasingly important factor in
21st-century notions of community". I never intended
to imply that it *replaces* person-to-person
interaction, and even gave examples of how the
Internet, in my case, has led to meeting (in person)
looping musicians from faraway places whom I never
would have met otherwise. And even in the case of
friends who live closer, the schedules and logistics
of real life make communication by e-mail much more
common than actually getting together. I have friends
with whom I'd lost contact over the years but now
correspond with pretty regularly online; if it weren't
for email, there wouldn't be much communication there
at all. I know we wouldn't be buying stamps or paying
huge long distance phone bills. It's still better to
get together in person, of course, but that's not
always practical (and when it is, the details are
usually worked out via email.)

> To a small degree it can, and it does help people
>get together, but the key is to get together.

Sure, ultimately. Our disagreement there is just a
matter of degree.

> (I met my wife on the internet doing a search on
>Brian Eno!)

In a weird sequence of events, it was indirectly
because of Looper's Delight that I met my girlfriend:
in the early '90's, there was a pretty good music
'scene' in my area (Portland, ME to Boston, cenetered
on Portsmouth, NH) and I was a member of one of the
better-known bands in that scene. Then I burned out on
it and dropped out of it for a few years. Of course, I
couldn't stop doing music completely, and after a
while, I'd discovered LD, got involved with the Chain
Tape Collective, and gradually started performing
again. Because of the recognition factor of my
previous band, I got some press regarding my "new"
direction (which was ironically what I'd already been
doing for years before my higher-profile gig), and got
a call to do some live-loop-based session work,
essentially being asked to do a David Torn
impersonation for a project featuring a
Celtic/World-influenced vocalist. She and I became the
best of friends (and she was a listmember for a while)
and the rest is history. Wouldn't have happened that
way without the Internet, though.

>I think the internet is good at augmenting social
>groups, but not a replacement or alternative to them.

No, I don't think it replaces them either, but it can
sure be instrumental in strengthening them,
particularly when it comes to bringing together people
with non-mainstream interests from a wider
geographical area than would otherwise be the case.

1) Gotten gigs you wouldn't otherwise have gotten?
2) Travelled to and/or performed at an event
planned/described on-list?    (eg. Loopstock, one of
Rick Walker's events, etc.)
3) Socialized and/or collaborated with other
listmembers?
4) Influenced musicians you already knew to become
listmembers or take up looping?
5) Met your significant other?

In my case, I'm five for five; I'd say LD's been a
pretty significant part of my concept of 'community'.

-t-