Re: Subject: Re: midi note??? loop changes on Repeater? Very weird HELP!!!!

--- Robert Michael <rob_michael_2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I use an FCB-1010 to control the Repeater.  This pdl
> brd has a MIDI merge feature that I used to use to
> merge MIDI time code (from a Roland R-70) and the FCB
> commands to the MIDI in of the Repeater.
>
> Repeater = MIDI ch. 1
> R-70 = MIDI ch. 10  (it can also transmit on 4 other
> channels simultaneously)
>
> This worked ok for the most part--HOWEVER--I
> discovered that if I used the R-70's Multi-timbral
> capabilties--the symptoms you describe raise their
> ugly head--random loops are cued--there was no
> pattern--nor could this symptom be duplicated in any
> predictable fashion (yes--I made certian that the drum
> machine was not transmitting on the Repeater's MIDI
> ch.).  I had the same result with other mulit-timbral
> drum machines (Boss DR-5 and DR-770)  As long as I
> transmitted only on one MIDI channel, everything was
> fine--but let more that one channel transmit and chaos
> would eventually ensue.
>
> At first I attributed this to one of the several bugs
> with which most Repeater users live.  Then as an
> experiment, I used an external MIDI merge box as
> opposed to merging with the FCB (I use a simple MIDI
> Solutions 2 in/1 out box).  This solved the problem
> entirely!  In fact--the Repeater has been a MUCH more
> stable machine ever since.

The problem is that something is being sent to the Repeater that it's
interpreting as a loop select message. If you really want to know what's
going
on, you'd have to get a midi analyzer on the line to see exactly what's
being
sent. There's a software one for Windows called midiox that is available
for free
non-commercial use at www.midiox.com

Greg