Re: Frippertronics and soundscapes

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 12:32  AM, Terry Blankenship wrote:
> soundscapes. Have any of you heard any of his more
> recent soundscape CDs and what did you think?

what do i think of it?

well, i like his tape delay work. my favourite frippertronics record is
God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners, as it's kind of a good
catch-all album for what he was trying to accomplish at the time.

soundscapes (being his work from 1994 and beyond) is a different story

i would say that it is of personal spiritual significance second only
to Bach's liturgical music. what that man can do with a sawtooth wave,
delay, and a pitch shifter is ubelievable to me. i'm not saying that
it's "better" than what other masters of looping such as David Torn
(who is also close to my heart) or Andre (whose rhythmic looping work
impresses me greatly) or Robert Rich (who is definitely _the_ master of
ambient music for my money), i'm just saying that i feel an intense
spiritual connection to the music.

i enjoy the new Crimson albums, but if it needs to stop i can live with
that. however, if Bob came out in his journal saying that he was
throwing in the towel with soundscapes, it would make me cry. i would
really like to hear more "applied soundscapes" work like on nineties
albums by the Grid, the Beloved, and No-Man. that Beloved album in
particular is very sweet. i think that Bob doesn't think anyone likes
his soundscapes discs, and i know very few people that listen to them
regularly. one sound engineer friend of mine in particular feels the
need to complain about Fripp's "colostomy bag" playing whenever he
talks about his favourite rock band: king crimson. although i think he
may just be tweaking me on that ...

Andre made the (well-observed) point that Bob's Long Delay Stuff is not
the only application of looping, and that there are much more avenues
in looping to explore as a solo musician and one shouldn't get too
swept up in the Fripp style so as to shut the doors to those other
directions. i think that's important to remember as well, but i totally
ignore that warning. i prefer to construct much of my rhythmic and
structural enviornment within the sequencer (i use Numerology, for it
is highly suited to improvisitory sequencey music), and my interest in
looping is (and has always been) highly derivative of Fripp and Torn's
textural side ... without shame. when i had a band (which was an
organ/guitar/drums thing) i would often start up the Ambient Machine in
the middle of a soul or reggae tune and build a loop with my right hand
on a synthesiser (my left hand and foot stayed on the organ and played
the bass) while the guitar player soloed. or when my solo came i'd
build a "suitscape" with the synth and then play the solo proper with
upper manual of the Hammond. for that application (ethereal texture as
a "sonic glue"), i think there's plenty more mileage in the
long-delay-with-sustained-tones-and-signal-processing paradigm of
working.

btw, harmonised delay loops sound AMAZING through a valve Leslie!

now, the guitarist i'm currently playing with likes doing the ethereal
stuff, but he knows i'm more into that. so he makes more quirky,
rhythmic loops. he's doing so well with it that i gave him my TSR-24
for his birthday, because i thought he deserved it for doing so much
with so little (he does rhythmic loops with my old RDS-8000, which i
also gave him, and and old analogue delay rack unit. i think doing
rhythmic looping with an RDS is pretty balls.) i'm really proud of him
for stretching so much with the delay line (both figuratively and
literally: he loves that Time knob!).
---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com