Re: Frippertronics and soundscapes

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 02:59 AM, Eric Williamson wrote:

> well, i like his tape delay work. my favorite frippertronics record is
> God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners, as it's kind of a good
> catch-all album for what he was trying to accomplish at the time.

I totally agree.  I think that's his best stuff.

> soundscapes (being his work from 1994 and beyond) is a different story

I have to say that I've been left a little disappointed with Fripps
later soundscapes.  I think it's because he relies too much on that
"staircase" pitch shift effect.  I remember devising a pitch like that
on my ART SGX2000 and thinking I was all that.  About a month later it
was the first sound (exactly) on THRAK.  (he ripped me off! ;) ) But
anyway, I think that effect is WAY overused, and as it obliterates any
sort of melody, it seems to get boring (to me) pretty quick.

If you want interesting soundscapes/ambient, I suggest picking up any
of the Instinct Records Ambient Systems albums.  Very good listening.

Mark Sottilaro