Live Looping Techniques

I was curious if any of you doing live looping gigs
ever start with a series of already pre-recorded basic
loops, or do you create everything on the spot.

I did a tour in the mid 80's to promote my "Entering
The Silence" album. It was different every night as I
made everything up on the spot. I used two Hiwatt 100
double stacks turned on 10, my pedalboard, and two
Electro Harmonix 16 sec digital delays. I wanted to
change people molecular structures. When I'd hit half
speed it would almost cave your chest in it was so
loud. What fun. You should have seen the look on
peoples faces back then. They even blocked Beale St
off in Memphis and I did a live concert in the middle
of Beale St which I am sure you could have heard all
over Memphis. I had my eyes closed and when I opened
them a black blues player was standing about two feet
from me just staring in disbelief at me.

For those of you using stereo echoplexes are you using
them just to get a stereo sound or as two seperate
units so you have more loops available at anytime.

Will the echoplex remember loops after you've turned
it off or are they lost?

What are the biggest benefits of having two
echoplexes?

All the very best!
Terry