RE: essential loop recordings

> So let's hear it. What were 5 albums from the 90's that you think
> influenced looping? (or influenced you and your looping.) Can you say
> something short about each one about what makes it essential
> listening for
> loopers?

looping on an albums is quite a bit different from LiveLooping(tm).
the studio setting allows for a very different approach.
what matters to me is the sound, though, not the juggling.
so here we go (top of my head, no particular order):

david torn - tripping over god
amon tobin - permutation
critters buggin - host
tabla beat science - tala matrix
grooverider - mysteries of funk

because five is not enough:

squarepusher - big loada
talvin singh - ok
radiohead - ok computer
beck - midnight vultures

influence is a strange thing, i don't sound like any of these.
not sure what makes something essential, but i know it when i hear it...