Re: essential loop recordings

Hi all,
Ive been watching this thread twist and grow for a bit now, heres my
additions and their reasons.

I have decided to go for stuff that probably doent get mentioned much on
this list but that are still tracks that have in someway advanced my
playing
styles within the area of looping.

1. Howie Day- Ghosts (live version) , I tracked this track down after a
single comment i came across on list it was the first time I had heard
(known i had heard) someone building up a backing and then playing live
rythm guitar over the top, it totally changed the way i went about
composing
my loops, it took me from purl ambient instrumental stuff to more
traditionaly structured songs. I really love ths track and probably end up
playing it bout every other day.(mind you, as a warning, dont rush out and
buy his albums, there he seems to take alot of what he creates so well
live
and kind of buggers it up with very so-so indie-pop production.)

2. Looper- Mondo 77.  I love alot of loopers stuff, they seem to have a
very
simple way of creating loops (ok a lot are strictly samples, but im
talking
about the music here not how its made) the tracks are catchy in a play on
the radio sort of way and i think if this band made it bigger they could
do
a lot to raise the profile of looping.

3. Lamb-Goreki (think if spelt that right) , reall beautiful song, very
delicate, when i heard it i just wanted to try by hardest to reproduce it,
the original is composed for a full band (although i figure there are
loops
within that set up) but i managed to kind of remould it for a cracking
cover
version, it was the first live loop i ever played to an audience so it
will
always have a place in my heart.

4.Spiritualisd-Ladys and gentlemen we are floating in space. this is the
tital track for a totally amazing albm, spiritualised is another band that
hides its loops under layers and layers in some somg and then blasts them
forward as the main cinstuct in others. my reasons for including this is
again due to the sonic diversity and where listning to it sent MY ideas.
also , i think this was the first place that i realised how to use a
volume
pedal effectivly.

5. Jez-?  ok so i guess this one is gong to be pretty impossible for the
rest of you guys but i had to put it in here as a homage.
Jez is a guy who comes down to my local club once in a while and blows the
whole place away with his amazingly skilled manipulation of nothing more
then his guitar a derepid looking multi effects and a Boss DD-5, he
probably
has never really made a recording, if i ever capture any of his stuff i
will
pat it cos ive yet to hear better given he means. im pretty sure he's not
on
list but if you are, well done you changed what music could be for me!!!!

ok so im starting to sound abit to timeout-y for my liking, thats bout all
from me, however those looking for sonic textures not necicarily of a
looped
variety should look up Sigur Ros. they are brilliant.

CU all soon
Phill Wilson

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger