Re: Frisell -> essential loop recordings

Steve Lawson wrote:
>>Can you guys distill it down to one really excellent choice for showing
>
> off
>
>>his looping? Maybe some of the others can be mentioned in the review of
>on
>>the page, but at least let's choose one to head the list.
>

> It's pretty tricky to pick one, but I'll certainly go with the
>suggestion to
> try the trio records - either of the Buster Keaton ones, or possibly
>Live -
> all three are with Kermit Driscoll (criminally underrated genius
>bassist),
> and Joey Baron.

I'd suggest Frisell/Driscoll/Baron Live, just because it's *live*.  And
a single concert too, iirc.  No overdubs, no studio choice to pick the
"better" performance, nothing but the band and the audience and the
blessed naked moment.

> But, as always, forget looping and just get every Frisell related work
>you
> can possibly get your hands on - the guy's a total genius and one of the
> greatest melody and texture players I've ever come across. I've never
>heard
> a bad album by him, or even with him on (and I've got about 30, last
> count...)

Totally.  And if he never touched a looper in his life, you'd STILL need
everything he ever recorded. :}  Personally, i consider him the true
heir to Thelonius Monk.