Re: Eberhard's intonation...

> steve@steve-lawson.co.uk writes:
>
> > I'll never buy an unlined fretless bass...
> >
> steve.....do you look at your hands when you play?.....or is a fretless
> instrument that much harder to play than a fretted one?.....michael who
frets over
> everything

I look at my hands a lot - I will occasionally look up at the audience, and
certainly communicate with them via facial expressions, but my maximum is
that 'all that ultimately counts is what comes out of the speakers' so I
keep my eyes peeled. That way, instead of constantly having to make minute
adjustments based on hitting the note sharp or flat and sliding it in by
ear, I can combine my ear, my eyes and my muscle memory to get as many
notes
as possible in tune as often as possible.

Someone mentioned Michael Manring's playing - Michael practices a
ridiculous
amount to maintain his incredible intonation. He also says that if he was
starting again now, he'd probably go with fretlines, he just never gave it
much thought early on. Alain Caron's basses do have lines, but they don't
go
all the way across - they are sort of notches in the side of the neck...

I'll use whatever I possibly can to get control over my instrument, so
playing a bass without lines is totally not an option! :o)

Steve
www.stevelawson.net