Re: Drum & Bass (was Re: Andre LaFosse -> essential loop recordings)

On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 09:20  AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:
> So, why is "Drum & Bass" acceptable as a genre seeing as it excludes a
> lot
> of people who play either drums or bass and "Live Looping" isn't
> acceptable?

ah you may want to check out Logical Progression Level Three, which
features a drummer, a bass player, and some minor guitar looping in the
background.

it was on Good Looking Records, and released in 1997 or 1998. there is
plenty of music on that dnb label which features live drums and bass.
not much looping outside of the one album i pointed out, but i haven't
been keeping up.

don't forget that there are in fact two _diametrically_ opposed schools
of drum'n'bass. there is the dark stuff, which is usually rather
abrasive and features very bright highly resonant bass tones and is
very closely related to breakbeat and industrial. and then there is
"intelligent" (not my term) drum'n'bass, which is more like what guys
on Stax records _would_ be doing now if Stax hadn't bit it (that is,
futuristic soul music).

i think that there are plenty of other dance music genres that looping
can work it's way into. are there any dance musicians here? like the
kind that play at those parties with the glow sticks and the water
bottles. :)
---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com