Re: where to compress?

> as far as my understanding of compression...you bet!
> i have a filter factory and i'll have to try it out
> with the compressor after it in the signal chain, but
> essentially, the compression evens everything out.  it
> boosts your lower signal sounds and cuts your extreme
> sounds.

A nit-pick - compression actually only attenuates dynamic range - it makes
loud things quieter. Most compressors have a gain knob, that allows you to
increase the output level to compensate - if you make the loud things
quieter then turn everything uo, you bring out the low signals.

Some of them can do this automatically for you as well, a neat trick, but
it's can't be completely accurate, since the level of the output signal
corresponds to the amount of input signal that crosses the threshold.

Your tonal balance will also change. Since you are compressing the entire
signal evenly, based on it's energy, the bass of the signal (which has more
energy) will become more dominant as you increase the amount of compression
applied.

> it is very
> tough to use compression effectively with extreme
> volume changes...and i've rarely seen anyone do it
> perfectly.

This is as much (or more) a result of the quality of the compressor as it
is
the skill of it's operator.

>  but ideally, yes...you can save your
> speakers from your filter factory with a compression
> unit after the ff and before your speaker.

For this purpost, you are better off with a limiter. A limiter is a
compressor with an extreme ratio - up to 1 to infinity - which means as the
input level increases, the output does not. (Or does just a little, if your
ratio is less than 1 to infinity). You would set this at the absolute
loudest level you want your signal to get, and you protect your speakers
and
ears without affecting the dynamic range of the sounds you are trying to
play.

Of course, you will want to adjust the compressor's envelope settings,
which
will also play a part in the sound you acheive.

bIz

http://www.groovetronica.com - "Well, it hasn't made it into our playlist,
I'm afraid. It's summer so there are no djs here to listen to and play
music, so we're just playing automated music right now."