RE: headphones

Title: Message
IEM's can get very loud if you are not careful, but I think their popularity is the fact you *don't* see them.
There is a local smooth jazz band that plays regularly, and they play with headphones on...all 6 of them. Their sound is very good, but I would trade a little sound quality for less of a separation between the performer and audience. The non musicians I know say it is not only visually distracting, but, as an audient, they felt detached.
Now I am all for hearing what you do on stage, and not putting your sound in the hands of a sound guy (especially for smaller groups)...which is why in ear monitors are perfect.
I have used them before, but they are overkill for my band (3-6 pieces)...we just turn the stage volume down, and have gotten used to not having direct monitors.

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com

for live use.  would iem's provide better isolation compared to closed ear phones?  i would think that iem's can't get that loud, but then again i've never looked into it.

-jim