Re: Nearly there: EDP Individual loop muting?

At 07:28 AM 7/6/2003, Paul Sanders wrote:
>But, laying awake in bed last night I think I figured out how to do this.
>
>Just be sure to use loop copy when adding a new loop for the rhythm
>guitar, then
>when turning off the guitar part, switch back to the first loop without
>the
>guitar.

That's the idea. It doesn't do truly multi-track loops. You accomplish
similar results using Overdub, Multiply, LoopCopies, Undo, etc.

>The logic there is a bit less elegant though.

It is a different way of thinking than a recording studio, which is the
way
most people are used to thinking about multiple recorded parts. It isn't
more or less elegant, just more tuned to a completely different sort of
usage.

The recording studio approach gives you tremendous flexibility and
control.
The trouble with the recording studio approach is it becomes very
cumbersome and awkward to perform live, while you are otherwise engaged in
playing instruments and entertaining an audience. It takes too many button
presses, too many things to look at and keep track of, and too much time
execute the basic stuff most people need to do. As you scale up to more
tracks the problems for a performer grow exponentially.

The "psuedo-multitrack" approach that the echoplex and other loopers use
was developed entirely in a live performance context. It is meant to be
efficient, fast, and seamless for real-time operation. It doesn't have
unlimited flexibility, but it is much more efficient and easy to manage
while performing. For example, what if you want to create 16 tracks of
layered percussion? On the Echoplex you just turn Overdub on and keep
playing. If it turns out you really wanted 17, that's fine just leave
overdub on a little longer. Most of your concentration is on the
instrument, while the looper handles the details of how it is recorded. In
a recording studio, for each layer you are arming different tracks,
rerouting signals, moving faders and knobs, etc. If you run out of tracks
you have start bouncing and it gets more complicated. That's a lot of
concentration not devoted to playing the instrument.

The studio gives you the flexibility to manipulate each specific layer so
you can spend hours tweaking it very carefully to get the mix you want,
which is perfect for recording. but not very many audiences would want to
watch that and most people don't try to do it live. In performance most
musicians have much more straightforward needs that are easily met by the
looper approach without interfering with their playing. Once you get used
to thinking about it in different terms, you'll see how fast and easy it
is.

kim