Re: RE: Digital Out on MD

The $200 used DAT machines aren't pro (balanced XLR connectors, digital
outs, no SCMS, etc) portable units.  Think of the TASCAM DA-P1, that's an
equivalent model to the MD recorder I was referring to.  But yes, $1600
for any MD recorder seems silly.

DAT media flakiness: tapes getting eaten, audio dropouts, timecode going
bad.       I don't think DAT is anyone's first choice for safe archiving
of data.  People I know who use DAT for field recording transfer it to the
computer ASAP and then archive to CD or DVD.  Which reminds me of the ugh
of realtime transfer speeds.  Yetch.

TravisH