Re: footswitchable series/parallel signal routing schemes

> In most instances, using a y-cable to split your signal will degrade the
> quality of the signal, causing signal loss. You can even have a phasing
> issue in rare cases. (Mu-Tron anyone?) A better solution is an active
> splitter. They buffer the signal so there is no loss and I've yet to see
> a phasing issue when using one.

I'll vouch for this -- even when using an active ABY box to
merge/split/choose signals, I managed to get unpredictable (and therefore
unacceptable) variations in signal strength depending on who was "on" in
the
chain.

> The original question about signal routing is a problem we are all
> trying to solve without breaking the bank. Going back to my question
> about the ideal mixer, isn't signal routing a major feature that you
> can't seem to find on a compact mixer? While the new Behringer offering
> looks like an affordable piece, it is extremely limited in the features
> offered.

I've looked a little closer at the new Behringer 1U, and the monitor/send
is
mono, which knocks it out of the running.

> I think footswitch control over routing options is required for most
> loopers. In fact, the ultimate mixer would probably include stereo VCA's
> that could be pedal controlled as well. VCA's so you don't have to
> you're your signal path all over the floor. Short cable runs are
> quieter. While we're at it, who is mixing a live set in stereo? Foot
> control for pan anyone?
>
> I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the response to the
> ultimate mixer question I posted. Isn't there anyone that wants hassle
> free control over their live remix?

I guess since the main loop mix lives inside my computer (the shortest
signal path is inside the chip, right? ;-), and I have more or less
unlimited and configurable control over all of the parameters therein, my
main concern in a mixer is maintaining orderly inputs -- being able to
choose which instruments/appliances/humans are going straight through to
the
main mix, which are going into the loop chain, and which are muted.  Being
able to do this via a footswitch would be great, but pushbuttons would be
acceptable.  The more manuals and spec sheets I read, the more I realize
that, however well-intentioned, the designers of the portable mixers
available out there haven't come up with exactly what I need, so something
programmable/customizable would probably be best.  As for panning in the
loop (Live) mix, I can already do this via MIDI, so being able to pan the
main mix might be overkill.  Maybe not, though.

*Sigh*... what I really need is a droid that understands the binary
language
of moisture vaporators...

cheers,
gene