Re: Re:Was: (affordable) stereo (live) looping? Now: Isorhythms

Stephen wrote:
> Cino,
> What you are doing with two EDP's is very loosely
> analogous to the use of Isorhythms in 14th
> century Europe.  Check out the music of Guillome de
> Machaut, one of the greatest known composers
> in the Western world until Bach.  Though isorhythms
> can more precisely be done via MIDI, you are
> basically creating a set of polymetric loops.  This is
> something that Fripp and others have
> explored quite a bit in the last few decades.

When starting to experiment with this technique I hadn't particularly
thought in terms of the isorhythms of early music, but it is a very good
comparison.

I am familiar with Guillaume de Machaut and very much enjoy that period of
"early" music, so perhaps the idea of isometrics was floating around in my
subconscious . . .

. . . on the topic of isorhythm, I would recommend 2 wonderful recordings
by
the Huelgas Ensemble, under the direction of Paul van Nevel:

1) Vivarte/Sony Classical SK 53 976 -- Music From The Court of King Janus
at
Nicosia (1374 - 1432)

2) Deustche-Harmonia Mundi 7977-2-RC -- Cypriot Advent Antiphons - Anonymus
c. 1390

These are both gorgeous recordings of works by composers whose names have
been lost to time.  The music all was written either for the court or the
church on the island of Cyprus in the 14th/15th centuries at a time that
the
island was under French control.  The first recording features several
isorhythmic pieces, and in the second recording all the pieces use this
technique.  I can't recommend these highly enough for those loopers with an
interest in older music.