Re: The doors of perception (was Re: Repeater latency)

At 10:57 AM -0700 7/24/03, Nic Roozeboom wrote:
>But, it's all just a matter of convention - if you have no use for the
>conventional distinction in terminology, by all means disregard it. Doing
>so however would not garner much credibility in an engineering context
>though.

Maybe in YOUR engineering context, not in all disciplines. I don't think
that these terms are a well defined as you seem to think. We can probably
all Google citations that back our personal definitions. For example, see:
http://www.linktionary.com/d/delay.html

In fact, this one from Alcatel seems to support both our definitions:
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:FKEfnNbwHrEJ:www.ind.alcatel.com/library/ip_comm/index.cfm%3Fcnt%3Dtech_consid2+latency+delay+jitter&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

>>If it doesn't bother you, by all means go forth and be happy. We won't
>condemn you because you have no sense of rhythm.
>
>Now, how did THAT enter this discussion?

If I had to guess, I would guess that it's humor. Perhaps a tad too dry
for the email medium, but humor nonetheless.

Chris

--
 http://www.xfade.com/ | theory and practice. In practice, there is.
     cbm@well.com      |               - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut