MIDI loopers

I worry on occasion about what I'd want in a MIDI looper. I've almost
certainly posted a list before. It's an interesting issue that a lot of
MIDI
gear is going to people working in studios with sequencers and/or computers
that can handle the task thereby reducing the need for a portable, live
rig.
On the other hand, if you are in the studio staring at a computer anyway,
virtual instruments are looking better every day. Hence, maybe the hardware
manufacturers will start seeing their real opportunity lying with live
performance features.

I used to think the EDP was a good model for MIDI looping, but I don't
think
so any more. I think what would be more useful would be some form of live
phrase creation/looping/mutation. For example:

* Hit record and it goes into auto-record-pause while it waits for you to
play. Play something and hit record again to signal that it's time to
repeat.

* Save phrases to buttons for easy recall with a variety of synchronization
options on playback.

* Allow playing multiple phrases simultaneously.

* Mutate phrases through transposition, controller changes, etc. This
should
support both temporary changes and permanent changes.

Some form of multiply/overdub/erase would be useful for building up
complicated parts (e.g., drum loop programming), but a lot of that could be
handled via multiple simultaneous phrases.

The key thing for me is being able to play the music as I feel it as
opposed
to pre-programming tempo and measure length as most drum sequencers make
one
do.

Wrap this together with a keyboard and easy configuration for talking to
multiple synths and it would make a really nice live controller. Figure out
how to build in a step sequencer and it would be a really great controller
for certain types of music.

Mark