From: Tim Nelson [mailto:psychle62@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 6:52 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: rds7.6

--- Will Brake <wbrake@comcast.net> wrote:
> I might suggest you be careful
> about suggesting tweaks without including a
> disclaimer as to the results.

(Note to Michael Lameyer: better make some more
popcorn!)

Did you read the link that was posted in the message
you replied to? Here it is again:
<http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/timemachine/timemachine_mod.html>

What is there in Leander's description that isn't
specific enough? There are descriptions of the results
including mention of reduced frequency response, there
are warnings to mark the position of the trims so it's
reversible if you don't like the results...

> I personally prefer my digital delay
> without distortion...

I think the point is to change the bias just to the
point of audible distortion, and then back it off
enough that the distortion becomes inaudible. And
that's that's a maximum adjustment; he does imply
pretty clearly that most people will be happy with
something less extreme. (He says "you have to
experiment a little bit to find out what's okay for
you.") If the tweak is done correctly, the audible
result is not really 'distortion' per se in the sense
of clipping, as much as it is a poorer frequency
response. Still a type of distortion as it is indeed a
degradation from the original, but it's not always
undesirable given the intentions of the tweak.

Personally, I think it would be cool to install a
multiposition rotary switch on the 7.6 that would
allow the user to choose between several bias resistor
value 'resolutions' all the way from the pristine (for
its day) factory spec down to 'long mangled delay',
with several stops in between...

> Maybe next time I won't try to help or maybe I'll
> write some convoluted reply that misses the point
>completely.

I guess the "piss in my cornflakes" was that kind of
sarcasm. I may be wrong, and I don't still have the
original message you were responding to, but wasn't
the suggestion to check the trimpots also an attempt
to help? I read it as "Check the trimpots to see if
they're properly adjusted, because a lot of people do
this well-known tweak", not "Go in and fool around
with the settings."

Ordinarily I wouldn't be a candidate for "Crankiest
Looper", but today's my birthday... :^P
I just drove all the way to a music store (not even
remotely my favorite, but they do have the largest
selection around here) because there was a used
stompbox I wanted to buy; when I tried it out, it was
moribund. Maybe someone had been playing around with
the trimpots. :-)

-t-

np: Jeff Beck - 'Who Else?' while I await the delayed
new one...