Re: looping up the wall...

At 04:39 PM 8/1/2003, Hans Lindauer wrote:
>I've been slaving my EDP to MIDI sync exclusively for the past few years,
>with no trouble.  Jon makes a good point - are you leaving overdub open
>for long periods of time?
>
>I don't quite remember the details regarding endless overdubs (I
>generally
>only overdub short passages), but I do remember hearing that in Loop mode
>you need to take it out of overdub periodically.  Maybe in Delay mode you
>don't (?) - I can't quite remember.
>
>You just need to punch out and then back into overdub during a silent
>part, every so often.

Mr. bIz sent me a private mail about this while I was out of town, and I
replied without realizing he had also asked about it on the list and

bIz also wrote:

>>That makes sense.
>>
>>However, it means that midi synch is totally useless, and I've managed to
>>waste a great deal of time over the last couple of years trying to get
>the
>>box to work and blaming myself, my cables and everything else.

which seems like quite an exaggeration to me. It is totally useable, and
as
many people have pointed out, they are using it just fine. You just need
understand better how it works, so you have an idea of the limitations and
how to deal with them. All you need to do is let the loop pass once in a
while without any changes being made to it, which most people would
normally do anyway. Once you see it does the sync correction, you can go
back to overdubbing or feedback or whatever. If you are changing it so
constantly that you can never do this, then chances are precise sync will
not be such an issue anyway because whatever drifted out of sync would be
completely gone or buried within a few repetitions and replaced with
whatever new material you are playing. (Presumably you play the new
material in rhythm.) This is also related to the "AutoStartPoint" feature
of LoopIV mentioned above, which helps correct the startpoint in such
situations.

It will also help you a lot to understand what the Echoplex is telling you
on the front panel. For example, whenever it does a sync correction, it
flashes the sync correction LED. This is the second decimal point from the
right in the display. (It is subtle by design, because it isn't something
most people need to have rudely blinking at them all the time.) Normally
you will see this flash once in a while when the clock has drifted a
little, but if you don't you know to suspect something is going wrong.

Similarly, the leftmost LED indicates when the echoplex does its
"AutoUndo"
function. This will flash each time a loop passes without any changes
being
made, and indicates that the echoplex has done a little house-keeping
operation called "autoundo" that prevents memory from being wasted or
unnecessary Undo presses being required later. If this is never flashing,
then changes are happening in the loop every time, which also means that
sync corrections can't be made.

this is all in the LoopIV upgrade and EDP plus manuals too, btw....

hope this helps,
kim