RE: Dangerous (learning) curves (was Fast & Trashy, Slow and Chaste)

It's true that I was comparing myself, however unfavorably, to Hans, but it is unlikely he will be there when I do make it to the monthly jam session, because he's not a resident of this area.  I didn't mean to imply that I feel like I'm competing with him - sorry that you and Cara got that impression.

Common criticisms of experimental music include "it sounds so random", "my 5-yr-old could do a better job", etc.  In actuality, experimental musicians like the aforementioned Hans tend to have a fairly clear vision for their music, and have some sort of well-defined organization somewhere within their music-making process.  In short, they tend to be very well-prepared for their performances.  My concern is over my level of preparedness, but if its just going to be an informal jam session, this concern of mine is likely unfounded.  See, in college, I studed improvisation under a musician who put in a lot of time in the NYC improv scene - he's difficult to impress and can readily tell the difference between a really good free improv performance and somebody just spewing notes and other noices at random.

Paolo

Per Boysen <per@boysen.se> wrote:
> To be "skilled" in using a certain performer set-up does not
> have to mean the same thing as "creating something
> interesting". Quite often the audience experience
> performances different than the performer things ;-).

Oops! The msg went away when I typed "Ctrl V" before I got the time to
sign it. I was just going to say that the listeners might not be sitting
there "comparing chops". Chances are they are more interested in what
they are hearing and watching.

All the best

Per Boysen

Do you Yahoo!?