Re: Eventide Orville...

Well, i'd have to say this...

The Orville is my main and only effects unit, only augmented by an Oberheim
which I send to and return from...

If you want to explore the Orville as your only effects device, the
possibilities are endless, because it's such a huge machine with so much
processing power.  However, one needs to be quite a programmer to get
everything out of it.  I often wish I had Zvonar's chops to do so... It
would also be nice if Eventide supported their products a little better,
i.e. Porting vsig to the mac, even providing CABLES so that one could use
vsig on virtual pc.  But there seems to be no interest there.  In fact,
some
of the employees who wrote interesting patches and were oh so willing to
provide product support are no longer there after a restructuring toward
software based lines.

The fact is there are more people interested in software based operations
these days, and I must say after lugging my SMALL rig, which is a pendulum
audio preamp, an orville and an oberheim, I'm still much better off with a
17 inch powerbook, an mhlabs mobile I/O and an art tube preamp, running
max/msp, live and reaktor.

Many ways to skin a cat.  The Orville is the best from a hardware
perspective IMHO, but I firmly believe because of the price, there are less
users and therefore high level only, and the software has therefore not
undergone the type of beta testing and consumer beating that would render
it
the machine of all our dreams including ease of use.

Thank goodness I have one partner out on this coast who knows the machine
more intimately than myself and we ratchet each other up...

I still wouldn't hand mine back for the world.  I love tc and all the rest,
but I've never heard such fidelity as I hear in this machine.  Environment
#32 is a reverb patch built out of 32 delays, which fills any room with the
clouds of softness and sweetness which I had always wished for...

All best,

Todd