Re: Stereo EDP

--- Travis <tiktok@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> Not everyone chooses to go to art school.  We all make our choices, and
> consequences follow.   EDPs and Repeaters are not, in the scale of
> things, terribly expensive.

Maybe not in your scale of things. A "stereo EDP" costs more then my car.
I have
to have a car, given where I live and what I do for a living. I don't have
have an EDP. I can't justify it with my family budget in my income being
what
they are, certainly not two of 'em.

You guys can rave on all you want, but the simple fact is that in TODAY's
musical
world, virtually every box you can buy is stereo. People expect that today,
whether they need it or not. Some -really- need it, some don't, but it
should be
there because it's there on all the other gear you buy. I bought a $100
filter
effect recently. It was stereo.

And frankly, I don't care for someone telling me what I need when I'm the
one
sitting with my rig going "crap, I need a mixer now." I have to buy MORE
GEAR for
the sole reason of WORKING AROUND basic product deficiencies like signal
level
incompatibilities or the fact that there's one box in the mix that's not
stereo.
You have to expect that sort of thing if you use a bunch of old used gear,
don't complain too much about the signal level problems with my
Vortex...it's 15
years old! But if I bought a brand new piece of gear, it should be up to
today's
basic standards.

> I'll ask again: how much money would you *pay* for a software version
> of the EDP?

I'd rather have the hardware box. Even if it's overpriced, it's still
cheaper
then software will ever be. Software is the black hole of neverending
expense.
First, you have to buy the computer...which is outdated the day you open
the box,
even if it's the top of the line, best you can buy. It'll be obsoleted in
two
years, tops. IF you buy the high end of the technology spectrum, you're
going to
pay a lot. Sure, you can buy a capable laptop for $900...but it's last
years
technology and will be obsolete much sooner. Software constantly grows,
expands,
and requires more resources...which your old machine will eventually not
have. So
any computer-based thing will require you to keep buying it...over...and
over...and over. It's like putting gas in your car. Budget $1000 a year for
computer hardware to stay somewhere close to current. And then many
companies
charge you for software updates too.

Here's your scenerio, that upgrade to XP-2006 isn't free, in fact, it
costs a
bundle, but...gee, the nifty new version of the Megalooper software only
runs on
that...and this is the version when they finally added the feedback
control...I
have to upgrade. Man, my hard drive isn't big enough for all this, and I
don't
have enough memory...

Greg